First off, I would like to apologize on taking so long to write up another post. Things have been more than busy to say the least! Between Arizona, Vegas, SKYDIVING, and LA...I just simply haven't had any downtime. Don't worry, I'll be sure to fill you in on all the details soon...but before I do that, I just need to write the feelings that I am having at this very moment.
I'm currently in the Vancouver Airport on a 4 hour layover to Hong Kong. I arrived at LAX around 6:20 this morning (darn alarm clock wasn't loud enough) and had to pull the "but it's my birthday" card to have them let me on the plane! I was the last person on the plane. It's always awkward to see all those angry faces staring at you while you're trying to lug your 80 pound backpack into the overhead bin...good times. So I finally get to my seat and strike up a conversation with this super cool perpetual hippie woman (that's the best way to describe her.) Anyway, she's on her way to Beijing to watch some of the Olympics and then she's going to some college in mainland China to learn Mandarin Chinese. This woman has to be in her late 60's or so and totally packed up and is heading off across the world. Now, it's one thing for me to do it when I'm 24...but when you're SIXTY?!? Wow, she's got some major "cajones" to say the least. We talked about everything from fresh water preservation to one of her trips to Columbia where she was almost killed. Hah, she's a trip.
While I was on the plane, I would begin to think about my family and tears would just well up in my eyes so I would immediately have to "change the subject" in my mind. Well, as soon as I got off the plane and sat down where I am now with no one around me...I LOST IT. The tears just keep coming and coming, no matter how hard I try to shut them off. I'm not a big crier, so this is whole experience is very odd for me. I was crying so hard at one point that a lady went and bought me a water and brought it over to me! I must look like the most pathetic loser ever!! In addition to her, I have had 2 flight attendants come over and console me for a few minutes each...up until they had to board their flight.
Reality is finally setting in. I haven't had a moment to breathe for the past few weeks with all of my travels, my preparation for this trip, visiting with friends, etc. that I haven't been able to address my emotions about the trip I am embarking upon. I am full of all sorts of emotions...some I can't even describe. First and foremost, I'm pretty scared of what is to come. I know that the trip is going to be incredible, but I just can't help but think about being robbed, beaten, getting sick, kidnapped, or worst of all...killed. I know these may be far-fetched, but they are legitimate concerns to have when traveling in Southeast Asia. I'm also very excited to see all that these countries have to offer. I'm sure I'll eat all kinds of unique food, learn about many different cultures, ride elephants...all kinds of crazy stuff! These are just a couple emotions...I won't bore you with all the others, heh.
As much as I feel like a fool for crying...much less in public; it's very healing and refreshing at the same time. I feel like more weight is being lifted off my shoulders with every tear. Yes, I'm going to miss everyone back home to very much...but I know that this experience will teach me so much and that I will be forever changed because of it.
In closing, I'd like to share with you a video that my dad made of our recent trip to Vegas and of the Skydiving. He worked very hard on it and boy does it show! I'm so glad to have this, that way I can take a little piece of home with me as long as I have an internet connection ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCa_2vYtvMI
Wish me luck and send lots of prayers my way!
Wade

2 comments:
Wade you are going to do just fine. I am so glad you got the blog thing going as it will be a good way to follow you wherever your travels lead you provided there is an internet connection. Keep it up to date cuase if you miss a few days I could get real worried!!!!
I love you
Dad
Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
love
Dad
Post a Comment